In case you weren’t able to listen in, I got together last week for a webcast with Talking Logistics’ Adrian Gonzalez to discuss how to deal with the complexities of parcel shipping as part of a broader supply chain strategy. Parcel is becoming more important for manufacturers and retailers due to the rapid growth of e-commerce and other factors, and that is driving greater demand for parcel solutions and services.
Incorporating a parcel solution into your transportation operations, however, is not a trivial task. With a wide array of carriers, capabilities and solutions thrown into the equation, there’s a lot to consider. So Adrian fired a number of questions at me, including:
- What differentiates parcel from the other transportation modes? There are several shipping modes – less-than-truckload [LTL], full truckload [TL], and intermodal, to name a few. What makes parcel different is that it generally provides more accessibility, meaning if shipments are going to a business on the top floor of a building, you will likely incur little to no fee for the door-to-door delivery. Because parcel offers a more personalized touch, it is also much easier to track shipments. However, if you are shipping in large volumes, modes other than parcel, like LTL, might make more sense, as they are typically more affordable than parcel to ship in bulk.
- What is “carrier compliance” and how can shippers remain compliant? Carrier compliance is simply following the specific rules each carrier has for contracting with it. This includes things like proper labeling, reporting, and electronic manifesting for both domestic and international origin carriers. One of the best ways to remain compliant is to leverage a solution like Kewill MOVE for Transport that offers a simplified process for updating LTL tariff information as well as the ability to rate shop across parcel and LTL carriers – all while providing insights that inform transportation decisions and ultimately reduce costs.
- How are leading companies leveraging parcel solutions to manage the complexities of parcel shipping? One of the key ways parcel shipping solutions help users navigate the complexities of this type of shipping is with the critical issue of carrier performance. In order to find success in both retail and distribution parcel shipping, a reliable carrier network is required, especially in the rapidly-changing world of omni-channel retail. Users need to be nimble and agile to keep pace with the increased expectations of the consumer coupled with the operational pressures to keep cost down.
In summary, organizations need a parcel shipping solution provider that is flexible enough to meet the ever-changing requirements of local, national and global customers and partners. To learn more, you can listen in to the on-demand version of the webcast here.
- The Kewill MOVE on the Cloud solutions for LSPs, Shippers and Retailers offer the perfect combination of supply chain agility, visibility and control. Learn more.
- Contact Us or Request a Demo.
- Subscribe to our blog [at right] to receive the full blog series via email and receive the latest global logistics news and insights.
- Sign up for our Supply Chain in Motion newsletter to keep up-to-date with the latest industry developments.
- Follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn.